A pregnancy massage is a wonderful way to help reduce many of the discomforts experienced during pregnancy as well as preparing you for labour, promoting relaxation and helping you cope with the emotional and physical challenges your pregnancy may bring. You will be made comfortable either on your side in a semi-reclining position or in a massage chair to prevent your umbilical vein from being compressed and ensure your baby continues to receive oxygen and nutrients. You may have a pregnancy massage from 13 weeks with written consent from your doctor or midwife.
Benefits of pregnancy massage include:
- Relaxation and stress reduction
- Relief from muscle cramps, spasms and myofascial pain, especially in the lower back, neck, hips, and legs
- Increasing blood and lymph circulation, which can reduce swelling
- Reducing stress on weight-bearing joints
- Improving outcome of labour and easing labour pain
- Enhancing the pliability of skin and underlying tissues
- Helping you cope with the physical and emotional strains of mothering.
Postpartum massage may be given as early as 24 hours after vaginal delivery with written permission from your midwife or doctor. Benefits of postpartum massage include:
- Helping to restore your body to your pre-pregnant condition
- Addressing the stress of carrying and caring for a newborn
- Speeding recovery by bringing relief of sore muscles
- Helping you to relax more easily
- Abdominal massage helps shrink the uterus and reduce subcutaneous scar tissue
WEAVER THERAPIES PREGNANCY PACKAGE – With the pregnancy package you will enjoy a 30 minute back, neck and shoulder massage or 60 minute full body massage, plus 30 minutes of reflexology. Reflexology can help relieve the symptoms of pregnancy such as morning sickness, insomnia and pelvic pain, as well as reduce the risk of ‘baby blues’.